Pregled posta

Adresa bloga:




Furniture Upholstery Course

furniture upholstery course

  • Soft, padded textile covering that is fixed to furniture such as armchairs and sofas

  • the craft of upholstering

  • Upholstery is the work of providing furniture, especially seats, with padding, springs, webbing, and fabric or leather covers. The word upholstery comes from the Middle English words up and holden, meaning to hold up.

  • The art or practice of fitting such a covering

  • covering (padding and springs and webbing and fabric) on a piece of furniture

  • A person's habitual attitude, outlook, and way of thinking

  • Furniture + 2 is the most recent EP released by American post-hardcore band Fugazi. It was recorded in January and February 2001, the same time that the band was recording their last album, The Argument, and released in October 2001 on 7" and on CD.

  • Large movable equipment, such as tables and chairs, used to make a house, office, or other space suitable for living or working

  • Small accessories or fittings for a particular use or piece of equipment

  • Furniture is the mass noun for the movable objects ('mobile' in Latin languages) intended to support various human activities such as seating and sleeping in beds, to hold objects at a convenient height for work using horizontal surfaces above the ground, or to store things.

  • furnishings that make a room or other area ready for occupancy; "they had too much furniture for the small apartment"; "there was only one piece of furniture in the room"

465 Clinton Avenue

465 Clinton Avenue

Clinton Hill, Brooklyn

Clinton Hill is a rarity among New York City's neighborhoods; it is one of the few areas where the period of. construction of the surviving residential architecture built for affluent families lasted almost a century. Such a continuum of architectural development is unusual in New York because the city's neighborhoods in the nineteenth century, as well as today, have tended to be in a constant state of flux as they gained and lost popularity. Only Brooklyn Heights and Clinton Hill, and to a lesser extent Murray Hill, remained fashionable for long periods of time, permitting development and redevelopment by people of means. The survival of fine buildings from many eras in Clinton Hill lends the area the character of an architectural museum where the history of American architecture can be traced from the 1840s to the 1920s,

In addition, Clinton Hill is atypical because of the variety of building types within the area. Most of Brooklyn's nineteenth-century residential neighborhoods were constructed almost entirely of rowhouses. Clinton Hill contains some of the best preserved rowhouses in New York City, but is given additional interest by the presence of exceptional mansions, grand institutional buildings, carriage houses, and apartment houses. All of these combine to give this section of Brooklyn the atmosphere of a prosperous Victorian city.

Nos. 463 and 465 are a pair of extremely fine limestone houses designed by the prominent Brooklyn architect Mercein Thomas in 1902. The houses replaced the frame mansion of Henry Warner Slocum (1827-1894) who was a Union general during the Civil War and a Brooklyn Congressman. The property was purchased in 1901 by William Berri who retained ownership of No. 465, selling No. 463 to Morgan L. Bogart in 1902.

Perhaps the finest Beaux-Arts style residence in Brooklyn,, the Bogart house would not be out of place in Manhattan's Upper East Side Historic District. The house displays the dramatic three-dimensional detailing common to the finest Beaux-Arts design. The design of the first floor is particularly sophisticated. A curving flight of steps sweeps up to an open terrace. in front, of the entrance door. The segmental-arched entrance and a matching window are set within a field of rustication and they are separated by a bold cartouche that forms the base for a cluster of short Corinthian columns and a bracket. This motif supports a curving second story oriel. The original door has been replaced, but the adjoining window retains its plate-glass lights, composite colonnettes cartouche, and magnificent stained-glass transom.

The three-window wide, bowed oriel is decorated with classical forms including dentil and egg-and-dart moldings, Doric pilasters, Ionic half-columns, an anthemion frieze, and a balustraded railing. Each of the three windows has a stained-glass transom that is identical to those over the two third-floor windows. The third-story openings are set in eared enframements.enlivened by foliate carving. The two upper floors are framed by rusticated Doric pilasters that support an entablature crowned by a galvanized-iron roof cornice. The side facade of this notable structure is faced with brick relieved by limestone belt courses.

Morgan L. Bogart (c.1842-1915), who built this house, served in the Civil War and later became Adjutant General of the Union Veteran Legion of the United States. He was also a proofreader on the Brooklyn Daily Eagle (New York Times, July 3, 1915, p. 7). Bogart does not. seem to have ever lived in this house. Upon its completion, his son, Dr. J. Bion Bogart, a surgeon at the Methodist Hospital and at Kings County Hospital, moved in. In 1926, title to the house was conveyed to another doctor, William Yarm (New York Times, April 4, 1946, p. 25).

Ownership of the corner house was retained by William Berri (c.1848-1917) and his heirs until 1948. Berri, who was born in Brooklyn, worked in his father's carpet and rug dealership and also became engaged in the printing business, inventing a number of casting devices. He established the trade publications Carpet and upholstery Trade Review and Furniture Trade Review and in 1888 he became one of the proprietors of the Brooklyn Standard Union. He became sole owner of the newspaper in 1913 (New York Times, April 20, 1917, p. 13).

The Berri residence is an elegant neo-Italian Renaissance style structure. The house is more subdued than its Beaux-Arts style neighbor; nevertheless, it forms a fitting companion to that building. The wide three-story limestone building has a low stoop that leads to an open piazza and entrance portico with delicately ornamented piers. The portico shades the entrance and a window with stained-glass transom. To the right of the entrance rises a full-height bay with a rusticated base articulated by a tripartite window and stained-glass transoms. The second floor fenestration of the house is arranged in two groups with ornate friezes. This level is

The Little Castel

The Little Castel

The house known as "The Castle" which has been abandoned for about
25 years. It is located in the town of Nakskov, the biggest city on
Lolland, but still only with 15000 citizens. The architecture is of
course very unusual, so it is difficult to guess a construction year,
but people in the area say it was built in the 1920's, by an old
eccentric German man. The building has scared many people with it's
fairytale-like, but yet scary appearance, and it is no wonder that
there are stories about hauntings in this house. Why else would such a
beautiful house have been abandoned? All the windows are yellow-shaded
glass, and if you are lucky enough to get a short look inside (because
of the height of the windows) you can see old renaissance-like
furniture inside. This is not a joke - there are really old red
silk-upholstery covered golden chairs standing inside this house.
Maybe stolen or fake copies - I don't know, but remarkable for sure.
The only windows that are not covered with yellow glass are the cellar
windows, but they are, on the otherhand, barred windows. You can see
about two yards in due to the old junk and smashed furniture in there.
There is also an old glasshouse on the property with windows smashed
by wildly growing vines, and with playing children-image paintings on
the house-end brick wall. Through this glasshouse you can go into some
abandoned storage room, which is unfortunately empty. But to my big
surprise, the wall was collapsed so it was possible to enter an old,
locked garage. Inside this garage two old cars were standing. One was
a beautiful Ford T from the 1930's and the other a 1950's Chevrolet.
All covered with 30 years of dust and dirt, but except from that in
relatively good condition. When I get time to get back to Lolland,
there is a lot to explore in this big mysterious house.

furniture upholstery course

Similar posts:

keep your dog off furniture

office warehouse furniture

top 100 furniture retailers

felt furniture pads

international furniture dealers

sauder furniture assembly instructions

children furniture warehouse

oak cabin furniture

Post je objavljen 20.10.2011. u 13:40 sati.