FRENCH CHEF KITCHEN DECOR - PEANUTS CHRISTMAS OUTDOOR DECORATIONS - COLOR TRENDS 2011 HOME DECOR
French Chef Kitchen Decor
Julia Child - The French Chef
Cooking legend and cultural icon Julia Child, along with her pioneering public television series, The French Chef, introduced French cuisine to American kitchens. In her passionate and sometimes breathless way, Julia forever changed the way we cook, eat, and think about food.
Entertaining, fun, and real in a way that influenced every television cooking program that followed, The French Chef embraced Julia's passion for food and teaching and reflected her joie de vivre: "If I can do it, you can do it...and here's how to do it!"
Now chefs of all ages and abilities can share Julia's love of fine French food and learn to cook some of her most-loved dishes with this special collection of 18 episodes from her original 1960s series, The French Chef. In her signature style and with bloopers intact, Julia demonstrates such classic recipes as boeuf bourguignon from her debut show, salade Nicoise, bouillabaisse a la Marseillaise, mousseline au chocolat, and many more delicious dishes.
Three servings of practical cooking advice per one serving of nostalgia is the recipe for this 18-episode culinary collector’s item. The French Chef with Julia Child, the pioneering public television series which premiered in 1962, brought French cuisine to American kitchens without a dash of pretension. Child (1912-2004), a cooking legend and cultural icon with her 6’2" commanding-yet-self-deprecating presence, leads viewers through some of her favorite and classic recipes with requisite humor and congeniality. The three-disc compilation is divided into Starters and Side Dishes; Main Courses; and Desserts and Other Classics, and includes several printable recipes from each category. In vintage black and white, the collection begins with "The Potato Show" and Child’s sage counsel, "When you flip anything you must have the courage of your convictions," before she flips half of her sauteed potatoes onto the stovetop. Peppered throughout the collection are such reminders of why Child was so endearing: she let the camera roll through all her culinary disasters. In another show, "To Roast a Chicken," Child lines up five headless poultry as if arranging for a family photo, while earnestly discussing the differences between a fryer and a roaster, the "full glory of its chickendom." Even non-gourmands will find themselves captivated by such vintage entertainment, while passionate epicureans will relish step-by-step demonstrations of wonders such as boeuf bourguignon (from her debut show), salad Nicoise, bouillabaisse a la Marseillaise, and mousse au chocolat. (All ages) --Lynn Gibson
NYC - FiDi: Delmonico's
Delmonico’s, at 56 Beaver Street, was America’s first fine dining restaurant. The birthplace of the Delmonico Steak, Delmonico Potatoes, Eggs Benedict, Lobster Newburg, and Baked Alaska, the original Delmonico’s offered a new novelty in dining, including the Parisian "bill of fare", or a carte, (which today we call a menu) instead of a price fix meal. The brick, Beaux-Arts structure was built in 1891 by James Brown Lord. The Renaissance-inspired building is faced in orange brick with a brownstone base and terra-cotta trim.
On December 13, 1827, Swiss brothers Giovanni (John) and Pietro (Peter) Del-Monico opened a small pastry shop at 23 William Street called Delmonico and Brother. Business was growing an in 1829, they rented a room in the adjoining building, at 25 William Street and by 1830, they rented the entire building, which served as a restaurant next to the cafe.
In 1834, the brothers used purchased a 220 acre farm on Long Island (incorporated into Brookln in 1855), where they grew vegetables, many that were not otherwise available in America, for the restaurant. In 1834, they purchased a lodging house at 76 Broad Street.
The Fire of 1835 destroyed much of lower New York including the restaurant and cafe and just two months later, the brothers started rebuilding at 2 South William Street. The building was 3 1/2 stories high, and the entrance featured marble pillars imported from Pompeii, that today flank the corner entrance of the Beaver Street location. The first and second floors featured large "saloons" (dining rooms), decorated with inlaid floors and the most expensive decor. The third floor held several private dining rooms, as well as the kitchen. The cellar included wine vaults stocked with 16,000 bottles of French wine. For the first time, the brothers gave it the name Delmonico's Restaurant. But the public soon called it The Citadel.
In 1845, another fire swept through the city destroying the lodging house, but sparing The Citadel. Under Lorenzo, Peter's nephew, the family business leased a parcel of land at Broadway and Morris Street to open the new Delmonico Hotel, which was the first hotel in the United States to operate under the European plan--with rooms and and meals price separately.
In 1848, Peter retired and sold his half interest to Lorenzo, paving the way for a grand era until 1856 when Lorenzo let the lease expire, closing the hotel In 1856, he opened a new restaurant at Broadway and Chambers Street, turning the Citadel into a luncheonette. In 1862, Lorenzo opened a second restaurant uptown at Fifth Avenue and East 14th Street. He followed in 1865 with a new branch at 22 Broad Street. In 1876, he moved his Union Square branch uptown near Madison Square, and his Chambers Street location to 112-114 Pine Street. Lorenzo died in 1881 and chef Charles Ranhofer took over the franhcise until he died in 1884.
Under the guidance of general manager, Young Charly, a new location was opened on July 7, 1891. By 1923, all the Delmonco's restaurants were closed. In 1929, shortly before the Wall Street Crash, Oscar Tucci opened the South William Street building as a restaurant, which he called Delmonico's Restaurant but which the public knew as Oscar's Delmonico's. In July, 1977, the Huber Family acquired the premises and opened a restaurant called Delmonico's Restaurant. It closed in 1992, and the building remained vacant for six years. In 1998, the Bice Group, which operated a chain of restaurants, opened a restaurant on the South William Street property which it called Delmonico's Restaurant. The new owners, Robert Reri and Stefano Frittella, spent $1.5 million to recreate the Old World feel. The new Delmonico's featured executive chef Gian Pietro Branchi, from the Bice Restaurant in New York. In 1999 ownership changed hands again.
The Delmonico's Building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1966.
The Open Kitchen
Where the majority of Jules' orders are filled. I can only imagine how fun it might be to sit at the kitchen bar on a busy evening watching the chef(s) at work while munching on a platter of frites with a nice glass of wine.
decorative wall scroll
decorating patio doors
table decorations crafts
log cabin interior decorating
wall art and decor
easy wedding decoration ideas
decoration ideas for birthday party
wedding reception decorating ideas pictures
contemporary decorating magazines
fat chef decor