ENGLISH BAY INN - ENGLISH BAY
English bay inn - Sheraton hotel bed - Hotels and jacuzzis.
English Bay Inn
York, Snickleway Inn
Former Anglers Arms
Public house and attached outbuilding at rear. Front range c1500 with early C17 wing, altered in mid C19; mid C19 inn front: outbuilding c1600, with later alterations. MATERIALS: all parts timber-framed: front range has plastered front, rear some exposed timber-framing with brick infill, some orange, some reused, some rendered: wing has exposed timber-frame on first floor and ground floor encased in red brick in stretcher bond; part of wing rebuilt in orange-brown brick in English garden-wall bond, painted on ground floor: pantile roofs and brick stacks. Outbuilding rebuilt variously, in orange brick in English garden-wall and stretcher bonds and red brick in random bond, with tile and pantile roofs and brick stacks. EXTERIOR: front range 2 bays of 4-bay range shared with Nos 49 and 51 (qv), 3-bay wing, and 3-bay outbuilding at rear. 3-storey 2-bay front with jettied first and second floors: first floor jetty encased in boarded fascia projecting on coved and shaped brackets. Inn front has folding panelled 3-leaf door to left of centre and 3-panel door at right end, both with plain overlights: window to left is of plate glass with divided transom light, over painted brick riser; to right, large plate glass window and smaller one further right, both over moulded panel risers. First floor has pivoting 2-pane window flanked by squat 4-pane sashes, second floor two 2x2-pane Yorkshire sashes, all in raised architraves and with applied diamond lattice leading. Second floor jetty plate is moulded; eaves cornice, moulded and dentilled, on shaped brackets. Wing has one C20 and one 4-panel door; windows are various and include 16-pane sash on ground floor, 4-pane sash and two 2x3-pane Yorkshire sashes on first floor. Outbuilding has various doors and two 2- and 3-light windows to first floor at rear. LBO
Major's Inn side facde
No longer an Inn but a cultural center for the Butternuts/Gilbertsville area.
Major's Inn was started in 1896 and finished in 1917 on the site of the original 1822 Gilbert homestead which burned in 1895.
It is a 3 1?2-story structure with a gable roof covered in slate, interrupted by a number of chimneys, dormers, and conical roofs on towers. It has a rambling effect accented by the use of a variety of projecting balconies and bays, towers, and several porches.
The medieval English Tudor and Gothic building was commissioned by Major James L. Gilbert using Augustus Nicholas Allen to construct it.
The Inn went through a series of owners during the 1950s to 1970s and, beginning in 1980, a group founded by Alan Cleinman which became the Major's Inn Foundation, Inc. began to raise funds for the purchase of the property. Today, under the ownership of the Foundation, the Major's Inn has been significantly restored and serves as a cultural center.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
clybaun hotel galway
discounted motel rooms
circus circus hotel las vagas
cabo inn hotel
cheap traverse city hotels
hotel de la tour paris
bridge house hotels