THEATER ROOM DECORATING : THEATER ROOM
Theater Room Decorating : Decorative Wrought Iron Gates.
Theater Room Decorating
Wallmonkeys Peel and Stick Wall Graphic - Control Room of a Theater - 24"W x 16"H
WallMonkeys wall graphics are printed on the highest quality re-positionable, self-adhesive fabric paper. Each order is printed in-house and on-demand. WallMonkeys uses premium materials & state-of-the-art production technologies. Our white fabric material is superior to vinyl decals. You can literally see and feel the difference. Our wall graphics apply in minutes and won't damage your paint or leave any mess. PLEASE double check the size of the image you are ordering prior to clicking the 'ADD TO CART' button. Our graphics are offered in a variety of sizes and prices.
WallMonkeys are intended for indoor use only.
Printed on-demand in the United States Your order will ship within 3 business days, often sooner. Some orders require the full 3 days to allow dark colors and inks to fully dry prior to shipping. Quality is worth waiting an extra day for!
Removable and will not leave a mark on your walls.
'Fotolia' trademark will be removed when printed.
Our catalog of over 10 million images is perfect for virtually any use: school projects, trade shows, teachers classrooms, colleges, nurseries, college dorms, event planners, and corporations of all size.
William J. Syms Operating Theater
Upper West Side, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
The William J. Syms Operating Theater, built 1890-1892, was the most advanced operating theater in the world when it opened and one of the first equipped for aseptic surgery. The result of a collaboration of the architect William Wheeler Smith and the prominent American surgeon Charles McBurney, the building represented the attempt in the 19th century to reconcile architecture with technological advances.
The appearance of the building, subtle and simple in detail but striking in its massing, especially in the form of its semi-conical roof, is expressive of the unusual functional demands of the building, an effort to harmonize the design with the other Roosevelt Hospital buildings, and the well-developed personal style of the architect for medical buildings.
Syms was the fourth of several major pavilions (see below) built as part of the pavilion plan 'of Roosevelt Hospital begun in 18 69, and as such is both part of one of the earliest pavilion plan hospitals in America, and a rare early survivor of a once highly influential approach to hospital design. Syms was the center of medical education in New York City in its early years, and it was the site of numerous advances in surgical practice at a time when modern surgery was taking shape.
The Syms Operating Theater was one of a series of pavilions built according to the original pavilion plan of Roosevelt Hospital. The pavilion plan was an important early step, proposed by the French Academy of Sciences in 1788 but not executed until much later, in applying scientific knowledge to the design of hospitals. At first it called for small parallel two-story buildings, called pavilions, set in a symmetrical plan oriented for access to light and air.
Disease and infections were believed to be carried in vapors, odors, dirt, and other "miasms" which were dispelled by light and goo d ventilation. Later, improved lighting and mechanical ventilation systems led to the acceptance of larger pavilion buildings. Syms' location, siting, massing, and exterior detail as well as its institutional history all relate to the original plan for Roosevelt Hospital and to the architecture of its early buildings.
Roosevelt Hospital was established by the bequest of James Henry Roosevelt (1800-1863) who left about $1,000,000 to build a hospital "for the reception and relief of sick and diseased persons."2 Roosevelt Hospital occupies the full block bounded by 58th and 59th Streets and Ninth and Tenth Avenues. Although the land was part of the 1811 Commissioners Plan of Streets, 59th Street was only opened in 1851, and in 1866 when Roosevelt Hospital bought its site the area was still mostly scattered houses and small farms. The trustees of the hospital adopted the pavilion plan in 1866. This was among the earliest in the United States and, as far as is known, the first in New York City.
Although no early plan of the hospital survives, the original intention was to build a series of four parallel pavilions. In the first building campaign (1869-72), the prominent New York architect, Carl Pfeiffer, designed all the major buildings, three pavilions along 59th Street. They were built in the High Victorian Gothic Style with red brick walls and light colored "Ohio Stone" trim, and had lively roof lines. The one-story Surgical Pavilion next to the future site of the Syms Operating Theater was the smallest and most simply detailed of the group. The pavilion plan was largely adhered to in several expansions of the hospital, including a group of buildings designed by W. Wheeler Smith in the 1880s and 1890s, until about 1940.
Surgery, Medical Education, and Operating Theaters
In the 19th century, surgery developed from a remedy of last resort to a common medical procedure, in part due to the introduction of anesthesia in 1847 and to the development of two theories of modern surgery, antiseptic surgery developed by Joseph Lister in 1867, followed by aseptic surgery about 1890. The operating theater was developed in the early 19th century on the model of anatomical theaters which had been the center of medical training since the Renaissance.
In the 1870s, many new operating theaters, including the first one at Roosevelt Hospital, were built for the rapidly growing population of student surgeons. Usually incorporated in larger hospital buildings but occasionally occupying their own pavilions, these were well-ventilated wood rooms, often decorated, amply lit by large windows and gas lamps, which accommodated up to 3 00 observers. The best-known operating theater of this generation was at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, built between 1877 and 1885.
These were superseded by a new generation of operating theaters about 189 0 for aseptic surgery, among the very first of which were the McLane Operating Room^ (now demolished), designed in 18 9 0 by W. Wheeler Smith at Rooseve
State Theater Uniontown Pa
Why does the Men's room have a lounge and not the Ladies room????
STATE THEATRE - PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE
The State Theatre was hailed as "the largest, finest and most beautiful playhouse in Western Pennsylvania," upon its opening in the fall of 1922. With many accolades it became a "picture place," showing silent movies and presenting vaudeville's finest acts from the B.F. Keith Circuit.
Thomas Lamb, a nationally known theater architect, designed the State. He is best known for his work in the 18th century Robert Adam's style of architecture and for his fine acoustical planning. The Ingstrip-Burke Company of Chicago, Art Designers, decorated the interior of the Moderne structure in the Adam's style. The theme was that of "refinement of line and chasteness of ornamentation." The artist in charge, Michael Tomlin, educated at the School of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg, Russia, pronounced himself well-satisfied: "It is better than I hoped, it is what I dreamed."
The State Symphony Orchestra held forth in the pit with a $40,000.00 Pleubet Master Organ at the left front of the main floor - accompanying the silent films to fit the mood. As the Big Band sound emerged, the State hosted some of the country's greatest musical attractions including Paul Whitman, Glen Gray and the Dorsey Brothers.
The popularity of "talkies" signaled the end for in-house musicians and the end of vaudeville. Although the greatest names in Hollywood flickered across the screen and epics such as Gone With the Wind drew packed audiences, the State's days as a movie palace were numbered. Television took away a sizable audience and the movie theatre trend turned to multiple screens and smaller auditoriums: The State Theatre closed in June 1973.
After a number of years the theatre reopened as The State Music Hall, featuring county and western music legends like Johnny Cash, Slim Whitman, Waylon Jennings and The Statler Brothers. Though popular for a time, the State Music Hall concept did not work out and the theatre closed again.
In 1988, The Greater Uniontown Heritage Consortium purchased the theatre, restored its old name and began presenting aseries of professional programs ranging from Broadway musicals to big bands, symphonies to country music superstars. The State Theatre offers a children's series of shows and provides educational programming for school groups. A multi-million dollar restoration project is currently underway to restore the "Grand Old Lady of Main Street" to her original splendor.
Uniontown Pa Fayette County
theater room decorating
Filled with detailed explanations, captivating illustrations, and entertaining trivia, this clearly written, lively, and uniquely-designed book is a first-of-its-kind introduction to the world of the Theatre, from the box office to backstage, and beyond. From one side of the book, the reader enters via the front door, where the people and activities of the “front of house” can be examined. From the book’s other side, the reader enters the “Stage Door,” where the behind-the-scenes world of the “Back of house” is revealed.
In exploring this visually-inviting “theatre of the mind,” readers encounter the people, places, occupations, and equipment of the theatre world, and have the opportunity to investigate them all. From the box office and the Usher Staff to the Dressing Rooms and the Backstage doorman, the reader may wander at will within this one-of-a-kind world, discovering the wonders of theatre all along the way.
western chic decor
free home decor ideas
mediterranean interior decorating
cake decorating colleges
christmas decorations for outdoors
survivor theme decorations