CAKE TABLE DECOR http://blog.dnevnik.hr/cake-table-decor
WROUGHT IRON DECORATIVE HOOKS - DECORATIVE HOOKS
Wrought iron decorative hooks - Decorative table accents.
Wrought Iron Decorative Hooks
- iron having a low carbon content that is tough and malleable and so can be forged and welded
- A tough, malleable form of iron suitable for forging or rolling rather than casting, obtained by puddling pig iron while molten. It is nearly pure but contains some slag in the form of filaments
- Wrought iron is an iron alloy with a very low carbon content, in comparison to steel, and has fibrous inclusions, known as slag. This is what gives it a "grain" resembling wood, which is visible when it is etched or bent to the point of failure.
- Used for wrought iron, as opposed to cast iron; usually a building or structural material.
- Relating to decoration
- (decoratively) in a decorative manner; "used decoratively at Christmas"
- Serving to make something look more attractive; ornamental
- cosmetic: serving an esthetic rather than a useful purpose; "cosmetic fenders on cars"; "the buildings were utilitarian rather than decorative"
- (decorativeness) an appearance that serves to decorate and make something more attractive
- (hook) a catch for locking a door
- Attach or fasten with a hook or hooks
- Bend or be bent into the shape of a hook so as to fasten around or to an object
- Be or become attached with a hook
- (hook) fasten with a hook
- large strong hand (as of a fighter); "wait till I get my hooks on him"
Wrought Iron Hooks-Nail Hooks-One Dozen Small-Hand Made
This listing is for 12 (one dozen) of our small Nail hooks. These measure approx. 1 inches in height and are great for hanging small objects. Each is handmade-there is some variation from hook to hook. Use your imagination- the uses are endless. These have one mounting hole. We do not include mounting hardware because it is determined by the surface you are attaching these items to. It will be anything from small nails, screws, or drywall and plaster anchors and is readily available at home centers, hardware stores--even grocery stores!!.
Senator Street Historic District
Senator Street, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, New York, New York City, United States
Senator Street derives its name from Henry C. Murphy (1810-1882). Henry Murphy was Mayor of Brooklyn, Ambassador to the Netherlands, U.S. Congressman, owner of The Brooklyn Daily Eagle and finally New York State Senator, for which he is most remembered in Bay Ridge. Henry Murphy was instrumental in changing the town’s name from Yellow Hook to Bay Ridge following the yellow fever epidemic of 1848-1849 to improve the area’s image. The grounds of Senator Murphy’s estate, later the Bliss estate and today’s Owl’s Head Park, are located at the beginning of today’s Senator Street.
The Senator Street Historic District is located in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, on Senator Street between Third Avenue to the west and Fourth Avenue to the east. The District encompasses nos. 317-347 on the north side of Senator Street and nos. 318-370 on the south side. It consists of 40 contributing buildings as follows: 14 contributing row houses on the north side of the street with 2 contributing garages, and 24 contributing row houses on the south side of the street.
There is one non-contributing garage on the southeast corner of the District which was built after the period of significance.
All 38 houses in the District were designed by local architect Fred W. Eisenla of the firm of Eisenla and Carlson and built between 1906 and 1912 in the neo-Renaissance style. They are all 3-story bow-front brownstones with a high stoop facilitating a garden entrance at grade. They also have a full-sized subterranean basement. The facades contain renaissance inspired carved forms such as garlands, heraldic emblems, swags and other foliated details, most notably in panels located beneath the parlor floor windows.
The brownstones have wood double-leaf doors each with a glazed, single-light opening, and crowned by a segmental-arched transom window. Most of the historic doors have remained intact. Several doors retain their original clear glass doorknobs (which have turned purple with age and exposure to sunlight — darker purple on the sunnier north side of the street and paler lavender on the darker south side). To the left and right of the entry are engaged columns which are crowned with decorated capitals. Each pair of these capitals is unique within the District. This utilization of unique detail is found to repeat itself over and over in almost every element of ornamentation within the District — making seemingly identical brownstone row houses in fact individual and unique.
The entablature over the main entry door contains a frieze with foliated scrollwork containing a center rosette unique to each house. Above the frieze is a multi-layered cornice on top of which stands another rosette — but this one element is identical on every house.
The brownstone stoops leading to the main entries have low brownstone side railings. Many have added a wrought iron hand rail. A lion's head is carved into the stone at the top of each railing on every house in the District. The edges of the steps are rusticated and protrude slightly beyond the side wall of the stairway, making them appear more massive. Only one stoop has been removed, (No. 354) but the original doors, columns and entablature were painstakingly reinstalled at the garden level entrance, thereby retaining the original character while enabling the house to have been converted to a multi-family dwelling.
The houses were built with a wrought iron gate leading to the entry under the stoop, most of which still exist. In addition, it appears that iron window grilles were original to the garden level bow windows. A majority of these original grilles remain, although many have been modified slightly to accommodate air conditioners. A large majority of the houses have a low brownstone retaining wall in front, complimenting the stoop, separating the property from the sidewalk. Many have added a low wrought iron fence above this retaining wall as well.
The houses are set back from the street with a small front yard area. Over the years, many owners have adorned their front yards with gas or electric coach lights, which do not appear to be original, and gardens which have added color to an otherwise monochromatic block. On the south side of the street, there are very few street trees due to utilities buried under the sidewalk, close to the surface. The utility company has provided a number of concrete planters to compensate for this. The block has also been working successfully with the local community board to plant street trees in the District wherever possible.
The garden-level bow windows are capped with rusticated lintels. Immediately above the lintels is a belt course indicating the separation between the ground and the parlor floors. Immediately above this course are the framed sandstone panels exhibiting interesting foliated decoration. There is one framed panel under each of the three parlor floor windows containing an i
Fire Engine Co. 289, Ladder Co. 138
43rd Avenue, Corona, Queens
Built in 1912-14, Fire Engine Company 289, Ladder Company 138 is one of Corona's most prominent public buildings. Designed by the architectural firm Satterlee & Boyd, the French Renaissance-style structure was erected as part of an ambitious campaign to bring professional fire service to Queens following the Consolidation of Greater New York. Part of the earliest group of station designs introduced during the automobile age, it features side-by-side apparatus bays specifically designed for motorized vehicles. Notable features include the use of tapestry brick, bronze and marble medallions, decorative ironwork, and a steeply pitched mansard roof clad in gray slate. Standing amidst single-family residences and small industrial buildings, Fire Engine Company 289, Ladder Company 138 is an outstanding example of early twentieth century civic architecture, symbolizing Greater New York's commitment to the citizens of Corona.
Fire Engine Company 289, Ladder Company 138 occupies a mid-block fifty by one hundred foot lot on the south side of 43rd Avenue, between 97th Place and National Avenue. The steel-frame structure is faced with red brick, "buff Indiana" limestone, and "Stony Creek" granite. Characteristic of the late French Renaissance style, limestone is used primarily for parts of the facade where the structural load appears greatest: across the base or first story, in the second and third story window surrounds, and in the projecting cornice.
The first story has two identical apparatus bays, each topped by basket arches and scroll-shaped keystones. Above the granite water table, the first story is faced with limestone. Each apparatus bay is framed by engaged bollards and has a single non-historic roll-down door decorated with a grid of square panels, painted red. There are six horizontal panels, and five vertical. The east apparatus bay is windowless, whereas the west bay has three small windows and an inset door for firemen and visitors. The base is surmounted by a belt course/cornice to which text is attached with individual metal letters and numbers: "138 HOOK & LADDER 138," above the east bay, and "289 ENGINE 289," above the west bay.
Between the two vehicular entrances is a round-arched window shielded by a three-panel wrought-iron gate. The highly decorated metalwork is painted red. There are four identical, non-historic lighting fixtures attached to the raised limestone band that transects the lower facade. The pair of fixtures that frame the center window is connected by metal tubing to a halogen fixture above. Between the window and the east apparatus bay is a non-historic metal sign. Directly east of the building is a one-
story aluminum-mesh gate that opens to a passage that leads to the rear of the site.
The second story has three sets of historic six-over-six windows, all with limestone surrounds and ornamented keystones. A flagpole is installed on the right side of the center window, on the sill. Below each window is a limestone panel with a rectangular inset, fronted with wrought-iron grillwork, painted red. At the center of each grille is a four-part shield in which each segment is decorated with the Fire Department's initials: F/D/N/Y. While the shields and the placement of the initials are identical in each grille, the letters at the center of each shield vary: the east shield is inscribed "139," the center shield "S&B," and the west shield "289." At either side of the center window is a marble medallion with the seal of the New York City Fire Department. These bronze reliefs are identical, except for the words that encircle them; the text on the east medallion is: "SIGILLUM CIV1TATIS NOVI EBORAC1 1913," The text on the west medallion is: "CITY OF NEW YORK FIRE DEPARTMENT."
The windows alternate with brick panels, laid in a tapestry pattern. Each panel is framed by ashlar limestone bands. A narrow screened window is set into the center of the east panel, and a white marble block of identical size is in the center of the west panel. Above each brick panel are limestone triglyphs and bricks. There are two sets of triglyphs above the outside panels and one set above each of the two center panels. The triglyphs are aligned with the brackets above.
The second story is divided from the third stoiy by a projecting bracketed limestone cornice with a
thin strip of dentil moldings aligned above the second story windows. The third story has a mansard roof with three dormers framed in limestone. Each dormer has a pediment supported by a stylized keystone and a pair of identical scroll-topped pilasters. The windows, which are original, are six-over-six and painted red. The steeply-pitched mansard roof is covered by dark gray slate shingles that appear to be original. The sides of each dormer are faced with copper sheeting. The center and east dormers are covered with wi
wrought iron decorative hooks
This elegant ornament wall hook is powder coated wrought iron, for hanging your beautiful art glass balls. It is approximately 6" tall and stands about 6" away from the wall. Ornaments may be hung either with "S" hooks purchased separately, or with clear monofilament line. You may even wish to leave the ornaments' descriptive hang tag attached and use it's bight to hang it. Screws are not included, as the hook may be utilized on wood, brick, stucco, inside or outside the house, and the proper screws should be used for each location.
games of decorating rooms
rustic decor catalog
lettering wall decor
hawaiian decorations ideas
ideas for decorating a playroom
christmas theme decorations
cowboy decorating ideas
decorative garden pots
decorating a beach house
03.10.2011. u 09:44 •