WHITE HART HOTEL MENHENIOT. HOTEL MENHENIOT
WHITE HART HOTEL MENHENIOT. PET FRIENDLY HOTEL CHAINS.
White Hart Hotel Menheniot
- The White Hart is the first novel in the five-volume "The Book of the Isle" series by US fantasy author Nancy Springer. It was first published in the United States by Pocket Books, a division of Simon & Schuster in 1979. It is set in a land much like pre-Roman Britain.
- The White Hart ("hart" is an archaic word for a mature stag) was the personal emblem and livery of Richard II, who derived it from the arms of his mother, Joan "The Fair Maid of Kent", heiress of Edmund of Woodstock.
- Menheniot (Cornish: Mahunyes) is a civil parish and village in Cornwall, United Kingdom. The village is situated 2? miles (4 km) southeast of Liskeard . The meaning of the name is "sanctuary of Neot" (from minihi and Neot).
- An establishment providing accommodations, meals, and other services for travelers and tourists
- A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging on a short-term basis. The provision of basic accommodation, in times past, consisting only of a room with a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced by rooms with modern facilities, including en-suite
- A code word representing the letter H, used in radio communication
- a building where travelers can pay for lodging and meals and other services
- In French contexts an hotel particulier is an urban "private house" of a grand sort. Whereas an ordinary maison was built as part of a row, sharing party walls with the houses on either side and directly fronting on a street, an hotel particulier was often free-standing, and by the eighteenth
White Hart Lower Maudlin St Bristol BS1
The White Hart Lower Maudlin Street Bristol - The present White Hart Inn has the date 1672 prominently painted on the facade, but as so often with inns the dating is deceptive. The actual fabric of the inn has been altered over the years but there is evidence that a hostelry has existed on this site since medieval times when it would have served as a pilgrims’ inn giving food and shelter to those who found themselves locked out of St John’s gate at curfew. The title deeds contain a sad note from 1715: 'none of the ancient deeds relating to the White Hart can be found'.
The inn nestles in the shadow of St James Church which was part of the original Priory erected in 1130 by Robert, Earl of Gloucester. It was Robert who built the massive Keep for Bristol Castle and for every ten stones he imported from Normandy for that keep he gave one stone for the building of the Priory Church. Originally, it had a cloister, dormitories and a gatehouse but it shared the fate of all monasteries at the dissolution in 1543 and its lands were bought up by the property speculators of the day.
The tower and the superb west front of St James can be seen clearly rising up behind the White Hart. The Norman arcade of arches, three of which are pierced for circular-headed windows, are fine but it is the small wheel window above which is the earliest of its kind in England and an architectural gem. It is worth paying a visit to this our earliest church and the key can be obtained from the seventeenth century Church House behind the inn.
The White Hart or Hind was a popular heraldic sign for an inn. The white hart with a crown or golden chain around its neck was the favourite device of Richard II and is seen rampant on many an inn sign such as this one.
The exterior of the inn presents an attractive appearance at this corner and is basically of seventeenth century construction. The original roof level continued at the lower level and the raised portion on the left was probably constructed in the nineteenth century to give added height to the room and an extra window inserted.
The lower part was remodelled to meet the requirements of the licensing authority when separate entrances to different bars were required.
The channelled plasterwork and block cornice were retained and form an unusual architectural detail. To the left of the ground floor window was a small vaulted apartment which has been opened up as a wine and food bar though its original use cannot be ascertained. It was probably the brewhouse, for many small inns brewed their own beer.
The low doorway leads into an inn which retains all the atmosphere of its heritage. There are enough old beams to satisfy everyone; add old window seats, dark paint and a halberd or pike top and the scene is complete.
The inn is very popular and its clientele is a mixed one. The Bristol Royal Infirmary is just up the road in the same place where it has been since its foundation in 1735 and in 1802 the White Hart was owned by a surgeon, Henry Ball. The early physicians and surgeons at the hospital met regularly at the White Hart to sing glees at their Catch Club and dental and medical students still congregate here today, though they’re a little short on glees.
St James was one of the most populous districts in old Bristol and it was in the church yard that the celebrated St James’ Fair was held for a fortnight during September. This was a stupendous event when all sorts of trading and entertainment would take place.
Merchants would come from all parts of the world to trade at the fair. In 1630 we know that two ships of war were sent to cruise off the coast of Ireland and the Severn to protect ships bringing merchandise to the Fair. It really was so important that in 1633 the commander of a King’s ship wrote that he had conveyed fifty barks in safety from Ireland to Bristol Fair, though they had sighted ‘a villain’ that lay in wait for them.
The poet Southey said that he had seen a shaved monkey exhibited as a fairy at this Fair as well as a shaved bear dressed in checked coat and trousers who was passed off as an Ethiopian savage. Jem Belcher, the bare knuckle pugilist who became a champion before he was twenty one, was actually born in St James churchyard and gained all his experience in boxing booths at the Fair.
This mixture of profitable trading and popular side-shows went on until 1837 by which time St James’ Fair had degenerated into a public danger and was discontinued. The White Hart backs on to the old graveyard, but don’t be put off by the stories that this part of the Horsefair was a plague pit. When the area was bulit over in 1954 three hundred bodies were recovered and reburied elsewhere, but they were found all four feet apart as in a normal burial and so that legend was destroyed.
This does not mean however, that the inn is denied its allowance of ghosts, as the signpost outside proclaims. There are many sightings of apparitions; an eighteenth century potman who sle
Scarlett Ribbons © All rights reserved
In amongst the reeds in one of the ponds at Wat Tyler Country Park is a sculpture showing the head of a large white hart - This is a symbol of support for Richard II, that can still be seen in the many pub signs along the peasants' marching route into London in Essex and Kent.
It was King Richard II who passed an act making it compulsory for pubs and inns to have a sign in order to identify them to the official Ale Taster... and as such Richards II own emblem (The White Hart) became a very common pub name.
bed and breakfast in honolulu
airport hotel budapest
the inn at pelican bay
econolodge inn and suites
soho luxury hotels
la catalina hotel and suites
ambassador hotel india
the george hotel shipston
hotels with jacuzzi in rooms
the prince of wales hotel niagara on the lake