nedjelja, 06.11.2011.



Greek Law Firms

greek law firms

Bartow-Pell Mansion

Bartow-Pell Mansion

Bartow-Pelham Mansion, Pelham Bay Park, Bronx

This large dignified country house of local stone with cast iron balconies is one of the finest Greek Revival Period houses in this region. This excellently proportioned mansion with its handsome interiors and fine garden, with a small family burial ground, is one of the pleasantest country seats in New York City. The house is owned by the City and is under the jurisdiction of the Parks Department. It is leased to the International Garden Club which has restored it and now maintains it. In 1946 it was opened to the public as a house museum.

The importance of this building lies in its expression of great Classical dignity. Spaciousness, simplicity of line, symmetrically balanced elements and good construction typical of the Greek Revival Style are but a few of the details which make the Bartow-Pell Mansion one of the best examples of this architecture in the City,

The Bartow-Pell Mansion, an elegant country seat in the Federal style, stands on land which was once part of the Manor of Pelham. Surrounding the mansion -- the exterior was designated a New York City Landmark in 1966 and the first floor interiors were designated in 1975 — are a number of significant features which are closely linked to the distinguished history of this impressive estate.

In 1654 Thomas Pell (1613-1669) purchased over 9,000 acres of land, later known as Pelham, from the Indians. Today the site of this historic transaction is commemorated by an elm tree, planted on the spot where the event took place. This tree stands northwest of the mansion and is now surrounded by an iron fence. Pell became the first Lord of the Manor of Pelham, which was named after him and confirmed by a Patent granted by Governor Nicolls on October 6, 1666. After Pell's death, the property passed through successive generations of Pells until 1790, when John Bartow, the son of Bathsheba Pell and Theophilus Bartow, purchased part of the land from the Pell family.

From 1794 on, Herman LeRoy (1758-1841), who had served as the first Consul General from Holland to the newly formed United States, began to purchase land in Pelham. In 1791 LeRoy, with his brother-in-law William Bayard, founded a shipping firm, LeRoy, Bayard & Co., which soon became one of the most respected and successful firms in the city. LeRoy also served as the president of the Bank of New York and was a director of the Bank of the United States. In 1813, he purchased 200 additional acres from John Bartow; the transaction was witnessed by Aaron Burr, who at that time was married to a Bartow. It was probably during the period of the LeRoy ownership of the land that the present Bartow-Pell mansion was erected. Designed in the Federal style and built of local stone, the mansion is an elegant and characteristically restrained example of the architecture of the period. In 1836 Herman LeRoy sold the 200 acres he had purchased from John Bartow to Robert Bartow (d.1868), the grandson of John and the husband of Maria Rosina Lorillard. It was the well-to-do Bartow family who updated the interiors of the mansion to the then fashionable Greek Revival style.

Among the features which are to be found on the expanded Landmark Site are a stone stable, the walled gardens and a small family memorial plot. The stone stable, which stands to the northeast of the mansion may date from the period of the LeRoy ownership. Like the mansion, the stable is built of local stone. However, if a permanent stable structure were not part of the estate which Bartow purchased from LeRoy in 1836, Bartow certainly had the structure erected, perhaps in conjunction with the remodeling of the interior of the mansion. The stable, which is now in the process of being restored, is entered through an elliptical-arched doorway surmounted by a triple brick arch. At either side of the doorway is a square-headed window with stone lintel and brick enframements keyed to the stonework. The openings at the other sides of the stable vary in size and also have keyed brick enframements which create an effective contrast in color and texture with the stonework. Hue to the irregular terrain of the site, the stable is two stories high on the southern side and three stories on the northern side.

The rear of the mansion opens on to a handsome terraced garden which was created during the restoration, begun in 1914 under the sponsorship of the International Garden Club. The garden is said to have been designed to resemble that which may have once been part of the original estate. It is enclosed on two sides by a seven-foot "high stone wall. From the mansion, wide steps lead down the hill to a small square pool which is surrounded by flower beds. This central sunken area opens up on either side to a shorter flight of steps flanked by tall hedges. A tall wrought-iron fence -- with the completion date of the garden, 1916, above the center gate — extends along the eastern end and closes off the garden fr

melanie and michael at white wolf cafe

melanie and michael at white wolf cafe

Melanie with owner of the White Wolf Cafe, Michael. VERY good food and atmosphere at this Village favorite!

greek law firms

Similar posts:

brisbane law firms

travis county lawyer referral service

juvenile court attorney

criminal attorney fort worth

family court laws

dolan law firm san francisco

how to become an immigration lawyer

best defense attorneys

06.11.2011. u 14:28 • 0 KomentaraPrint#

<< Arhiva >>

  studeni, 2011  
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Studeni 2011 (12)


attorney mediator, bankruptcy lawyers cost, highest paid lawyer jobs koristi kolačiće za pružanje boljeg korisničkog iskustva. Postavke kolačića mogu se kontrolirati i konfigurirati u vašem web pregledniku. Više o kolačićima možete pročitati ovdje. Nastavkom pregleda web stranice slažete se s korištenjem kolačića. Za nastavak pregleda i korištenja web stranice kliknite na gumb "Slažem se".Slažem se