EARTH TONES COLOR WHEEL : GATOR POWER WHEELS.
Earth Tones Color Wheel
St. John's German Lutheran Church
The neo-German Gothic style structure was designed in 1897 by prominent Brooklyn architect Theobold Engelhart (see Nos. 122-124 Milton Street) for a German Lutheran congregation. A tall angular building constructed of brick, it is ornamented with terra cotta. Stylistically the church uses Gothic forms such as pointed-arches, stepped buttresses, fqils, and a flying buttress, but many of these forms are used in an eccentric manner that gives the building an unusual spikey quality. The building has a central entrance portico with a pedimented gable, compound pointed arches resting on colonnettes, wooden double doors, and a stained-glass transom with pointed arches and a quatrefoil. Flanking the entrance are three pairs of stepped buttresses that separate the facade into bays. The central bay, above the entrance, is lit by a large pointed-arched window, while most of the other bays are articulated by pairs of narrow lancet windows. A gable with a wheel window ana brick corbelling is located in the center. A tall tower and steeple rise to the east of the entrance forming a solid anchor for the building. The two most interesting features of the church are the flying buttress at the western corner of the front facade which visually balances the tower to the east, and a band of dwarf arches that runs just below the main
roof gable. Handsome ornamental terra cotta is found on several areas of the facade, notably at the entrance gable, below the flying buttress, and in the cove cornice of the tower. A plaque above the central arch reads "Evangelish Lutherische, St. Johannes Kirche."
Nos. 159, 161 and 163 are a group of three neo-Classical flathouses erected between 1904 and 1909. Built of brick with a rusticated limestone first floor, the buildings have central round-arched entrances flanked by pairs of round-arched windows. Above each entrance is a stone balcony carried on large consoles. The flat-arched central windows on the upper floors have splayed lintels. At either side of these windows are paired square-headed windows vertically joined at the second and third floors. The spandrels marking the floor division between these separates the fourth floor from those below. These fourth-floor windows are enframed by a simulated Gibbs surround and crowned by stone lintels with double keystones. The metal roof cornice is enhanced by classical swags, dentils and modillions.
About the historic district:
The Greenpoint Histrict District occupies a unique position among Brooklyn's historic districts. Unlike the middle-class neighborhoods of Brooklyn's "brownstone belt,—Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, and Park Slope— whose residents commuted to professional and white collar jobs in downtown Brooklyn or Manhattan, Greenpoint was intimately linked to Brooklyn's industrial development. Its residents worked in nearby factories, and its architecture reflects the varied nature of the neighborhood's occupants. The buildings include substantial rowhouses built for the owners and managers of nearby businesses and factories, more modest rowhouses and numerous flathouses (walk-up apartment houses) for the factory laborers, as well as a variety of commercial buildings on the streets where the residents shopped.
Residential development of the area followed the advent of industry, the first of which was shipbuilding, located on the waterfront. The residential area grew inland from the waterfront. Perhaps because of the industrial character of the area, real estate developers were much less active in Greenpoint than in many other Brooklyn sections where it was common to find long rows of houses erected by developers for resale to middle-class occupants. Although there are examples of this in the district, particularly on the land originally owned by James R. Sparrow and his son (one of the rows they erected consists of twenty-one buildings), more often it was a single individual who bought one lot and had the house he intended to live in built on it. This is particularly so during the earliest period of growth in the area, prior to the Civil War.
The buildings within the district also reflect the importance of the builder tradition in nineteenth-century American architecture. The role between the builder and the architect was not clearly defined until about the time of the Civil War. When the American Institute of Architects was founded in 1857, its members were the most prominent men in the field in the country. This professionalism did not filter down to less well-known practitioners until later in the century.
The usual practice in Greenpoint and elsewhere in Brooklyn was for the owner of a piece of property to hire a builder, i.e., a mason or carpenter, to erect the house on the site. If the owner made particular design requirements, the builder might hire a draftsman to produce plans from which to work. But, because the vast majority of rowhouses have similar plans and cons
1:72 Gloster Gladiator Mk. I - "? 187", 21. Mira Dioxeos, Greek Air Force, August 1940 (customized Matchbox kit)
The finished Hellenic Gloster Gladiator Mk. 1!
The small kit took one week from the box to the final pics presented here. It is the Matchbox model kit from 1973, re-released by Revell these days, but with some personal added details and self-made markings, based on various book and internet sources.
Some background about this one, even though it is not famous machine: "? 187" was piloted by Cpt. Anastasios Bardivilias in late 1940. It was one of the Gladiators which came from various sources (incl. from RAF's 112th squadron based at Helwan in Egypt, hence the Vokes filter under the engine) to 21. Mira at Eleusis. On Dec. 23rd the planes were transferred to Yanina and took part in air combat against Italian forces in early 1941. The Gladiators' glory only lasted until April, though, because almost all planes were destroyed by strafing attacks by invading German planes on the ground.
? 187 sports typical RAF daylight livery, Dark Green/Dark Earth on the upper surfaces, but slightly lighter colors on the lower wings'
upper sides and on the lower fuselage flanks - a trick in order to compensate for shadow effects. AFAIK, lower surfaces should be Aluminum Dope on the wings and potentially blank metal/Aluminum under the front part of the fuselage. But this is only a personal guess based on the illustrations I found about this machine. These references also sest that the rear fuselage had the upper camouflage wrapped around the belly, so that only the wings and horizontal stabilizers were silver-grey from below. Since Greek Gladiators sported a wide variety of liveries (Some wore desert cammo from Egypt, other were silver altogether), it is at least a plausible interpretation - and the machine looks neat, esp. with the blue and white national roundels.
Color tones I used for reference:
- Dark Green = Humbrol 116 ("Matt US Dark Green, FS34079)
- Dark Earth = Humbrol 29 ("Matt Dark Earth" - authentic tone)
- Light Green = Humbrol 150 ("Matt Forest Green, FS 34127)
- Light Earth = Humbrol 63 ("Matt Sand")
Wings' lower sides were painted with Humrol 56 (Aluminum), the front fuselage with Model Master #1402 (Steel Metallizer).
Dry painting (with light grey and ochre, plus some silver and highly thinned black) and some other effects toned the whole thing down and aged/weathered the kit considerably. Some grey repair spots enhance the "ratty" look of this biplane fighter.
National marking decals come from a TL Decals aftermarket sheet, the bort numbers also come from a decal sheet from this company. The Deltas were created from scratch, other markings and stencellings come from the kit's original decal sheet.
The kit was basically built right from the box, no photo-etched parts etc. were added.
Some modifications were made, though:
- Different wheels, they come from a Heller Gladiator kit. They show the wheels without the aerodynamic caps/covers
- Propeller spinner cut away and replaced
- Open cockpit hood and entry hatch opened
- Cockpit interior incl. a dashboard constructed from cardboard; Pilot os original, but its head was turned and safety belts were added
- Complete wiring of the wings/stabilizers with 0.1mm wire and heated/bent sprue parts, which was also used for the antenna
- All rudders moved away from neutral position
- Flaps lowered on all wings
- Scratch-built Vokes filter
A simple kit (the old Matchbox kit offers real value for money), but a nice distraction and a true challenge through the complex and sensitive wiring!
old big wheel bicycle
momo logitech racing wheel
behind the wheel in virginia
hot wheels hot wheels
link wheel sites
chuck wagon wheels
lew carbon wheels
alloy wheel refurbishment southampton