THE LONDON HOUSE HOTEL : THE LONDON
The london house hotel : Boutique hotels in bahamas : Castle on the hudson hotel.
The London House Hotel
- Goodenough College is a postgraduate residence and educational trust on Mecklenburgh Square in Bloomsbury, central London, England. Other names under which the College has been known are London House, William Goodenough House, and the London Goodenough Trust.
- An establishment providing accommodations, meals, and other services for travelers and tourists
- a building where travelers can pay for lodging and meals and other services
- A code word representing the letter H, used in radio communication
- In French contexts an hotel particulier is an urban "private house" of a grand sort. Whereas an ordinary maison was built as part of a row, sharing party walls with the houses on either side and directly fronting on a street, an hotel particulier was often free-standing, and by the eighteenth
- A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging on a short-term basis. The provision of basic accommodation, in times past, consisting only of a room with a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced by rooms with modern facilities, including en-suite
Cambridge House: Piccadilly
I last photographed Cambridge House eleven months ago and it looks considerably worse. There is a blue plaque on the wall stating that 'In This House Formerly a Royal Residence Lived Lord Palmerston (1784-1685) Prime Minister & Foreign Secretary' The ivy is now covering most of it. The entire row of buildings is empty and decaying.
In July 2011 the Reuben Brothers bought the estate for ?130 million and have planning consent for a six-star hotel and private members’ club.
Grade I listed. No.94 (the former Naval and Military Club) (including front wall and no.12 White Horse Street)", Town Mansion. 1756-1760 by Matthew Brettingham (1699-1769) for Lord Egremont. The present structure is the result of at least two and possibly three C19 building phases:one dating to c1822, when the house became the residence of the Marquess of Cholmondley, steward of the royal household and a friend of George IV; the second dating to after 1829 when the house assumed semi-royal status as the London house of the Duke of Cambridge, seventh son of George III; and finally after 1876 when the lease was taken by the Naval and Military Club. The architect for this final phase was J McVicar Anderson. Faced in Portland ashlar; courtyard elevations in brick with stone dressings. Front wall and gate piers of Portland stone and yellow brick, with wrought-iron gates and cast-iron lanterns and torcheres. Hipped roof of slate to forecourt. A detached Palladian styled hotel particulier set back from the street behind a forecourt, the right-hand side bounded by the return wall of no. 93 Piccadilly and the left by a single storey range of 3 windows to the forecourt with a tripartite window and rusticated basement to Piccadilly; the latter wing appears to date from the mid to late C19. Main block has three storeys and a seven-window range,three windows at centre project in a shallow, pedimented bay. The centre window, first floor,with serlian motif opens on to the 'Cambridge Room'. French doors to first-floor balcony; the windows with moulded architraves and pediments. Square windows with moulded architraves to second floor, or attic storey. Distyle in antis, Tuscan porch to entrance in centre range; Tuscan aedicule with pediment frames entrance. The first floor balcony and entrance porch are of a mid to late C19 date. All windows and doors flat arched unless otherwise noted. The interior is of exceptional interest, not just for the surviving works by Matthew Brettingham and the unkown early C19 architects, but also for MacVicar Anderson's works. The following description begins with entrance foyer and front hall to the west. The screen wall between, like most of the decorative detailing, is of c.1876, except for the marble fireplace, west wall, front hall, which appears to date from the late C18. The foyer, front hall, long corridor and passage into the single storey wing are floored with black and white tesserae. The long corridor runs along the western edge of the rear courtyard and is actually shared between 94 Piccadilly and 12 White Horse Street without visible break. The long corridor is formed from a series of rib-vaulted bays with Tuscan piers and responds. It dates to c1876, as does the Smoking Room which is entered about midway along the corridor's length. The Smoking Room is also the work of MacVicar Anderson; it has an L-shaped plan, one arm of which opens onto the interior courtyard; the other returns on a north-south axis to the forecourt and opens onto the stair wall (see below). The Smoking Room is articulated into a series of bays by luted Ionic pilasters and piers; richly moulded entablature fireplaces and door surrounds, some of the latter may be late C18 in date sesting the style of this room was sested by original work. In the north east corner of the room is a marble fireplace of authentic late C18 design; frieze of ivy leaves in subtle, elegant pattern; mythological figure in low relief and cameo portraits. Long corridor continues to the rear of the site, still within the limits of no.12 White Horse Street. Here, in a high single storey block of brick, is the coffee room, designed by MacVicar Anderson in a late C18 style: rectangular plan and lit by round-arched windows to the north; Ionic pilasters and columns; rectangular alcoves to north, east and west; pair of late C19 Adam-style fireplaces flanking alcove to north; above entablature a series of round-arched tympana; in the centre, ceiling heightens and has a coved cornice. Of particular note is the cast-iron verandah, consisting of slender elegantly proportioned cast-iron colonnettes with lean-to roof this runs along the west and north sides of the inner courtyard and appears to date from the 1820s or early 1830s; the stone balustrade on which it is carried may be of the same date or even somewhat later. The great stair hall is in the centre range, at the centre of the original blocks; the stair rises in three flights; its treads are very likely
DSC04138 Lanesborough House Hotel - Hyde Park Corner
In 1716 Henry Hoare, William Wogan, Robert Witham and Patrick Cockburn decided to open the Westminster Public Infirmary in Petty France, London in 1720, and quickly relocated to larger premises in Chapel Street in 1724. By 1732 the Governors were forced to seek an even larger building. The majority of the Governors favoured a house in Castle Lane but a minority preferred Lanesborough House.
The original site was in Lanesborough House at Hyde Park Corner, originally built in 1719 by the James Lane, 2nd Viscount Lanesborough, in what was then open countryside. The new St George's Hospital was arranged on three floors and accommodated 30 patients in two wards: one for men and one for women. The hospital was gradually extended and, by 1744, it had fifteen wards and over 250 patients.
By the 1800s, the hospital was slipping into disrepair. The old Lanesborough House at Hyde Park Corner (now the location of The Lanesborough hotel) was demolished to make way for a new 350 bed new facility. Building began in 1827 designed by architect William Wilkins and the new hospital was completed by 1844.
Among those who have been associated with St George's are:
Henry Gray, anatomist
Harry Hill, stand-up comedian and TV funny man
John Hunter, father of modern surgery
Edward Jenner, introduced vaccination for smallpox
Judah Hirsch Quastel, biochemist
Thomas Spencer Wells, pioneer in abdominal surgery
Thomas Young, physician, mathematician and hieroglyphicologist
hotels with in room whirlpools
austria haus hotel
5 star hotels in st thomas
la quinta inn suites san antonio downtown
legacy chesterfield hotel
bed and breakfast in outer banks
anabella hotel disneyland